Sunday, August 16, 2015

Alvin



I grew up during the time where a PLDT subscription application does not take a week, a month, a year, not five years, but a decade. hahaha. Okay, that may be an exaggeration but our application where I grew up took a while. 

You can only just imagine how psyched I was when we finally had a landline phone! I was 15 then and was at the stage where I take joy watching Ang TV yet was also curious reading Sidney Sheldon and Danielle Steel books. I was the type of teenager who'd still wait for my Mom to alight from the trike (clearly we didn't have our own vehicles then). But, I was also the type very eager to "fall" in love, whatever that means. :P 

 The only thing I kept myself preoccupied then was the landline phone we had. When everyone else had turned in, I'd take the receiver and dial a bunch of numbers. Those who are within my age, know this the crossline era. You'd hear many people taking at the same time throwing in names (or aliases) and a bunch of numbers. Nice sounding guys had their numbers written down. (I will find out later though that not all nice-sounding guys are good looking ones.) 

One of these numbers was a guy named "Alvin." He was pleasant sounding on the phone and was a good 3 or 4 years older than me. He seemed "decent" in the way he communicated with me. Or perhaps I clearly didn't know then. We kind of became a "couple" which then seemed okay enough. He was sweet, consistent (in calling), and seemed to want to see me. Until one day, nothing. No calls. Nothing. I called him but there were reasons like he wasn't home to he was already asleep. The current Pinai would have ended there but the naive and stupid me called like crazy. I cried too. He never called me ever again. Alvin was my first virtual heartbreak. Nonetheless, I learned from this experience and make sure not to let this happen again. But of course, (like with most of you), it was easier said than done. 


★ Piper ★

No comments:

Post a Comment